Friday, May 8, 2009

Thrifty Fun!


I love learning new and easy ways to do things! As you can see from my bonanzle site I really like making soaps and have been looking into making some other bath and beauty type products.

I subscribe to a newsletter called thrifty fun which always has some great projects, that are sent in from other readers, that for the most part are pretty easy to do and easy on your wallet. You can also send them things you want to learn and readers will send in tips to help! How cool is that?

Today's tip was how to make bath salts for mother's day. What busy mom wouldn't like a good long soak? But with today's economy this is a luxury item that many of us can no longer afford to buy.

Here's how to make it yourself and for cheap!

Approximate Time: Less than 1 hour
Supplies:
1 cup Epsom salt
1/2 cup baking soda
10 drops essential oil
food coloring
clear bottle with lid
funnel
spoon
small bowl
white card stock
foam or silk flower
pen
scrap piece of ribbon

Instructions:Stir together salt, soda, and oil in a small bowl. Add some food coloring and mix well. (Make several different colors and layer them in a bottle, if desired.) Use a funnel to pour the salt into a clear decorative bottle.

Create a gift card using card stock decorated with a flower.
Attach it to the bottle with ribbon with the following instructions: Pour 2 or 3 tablespoons into running bath water to make skin feel smooth and soft.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

I'm totally going to try this! I'll post and let you know how I do. Let me know if you try it!

No comments: