Thursday, February 11, 2010

Intuitive Eating...


I guess I'm what you would call a "chronic dieter".  I've been on all the big diets (atkins, weight watchers, south beach, nutrisystem, etc.) at one time or another and some more than once!  Thinking back on all of these diets, all I've really gained from them is mostly useless knowledge of calorie counts, fat grams, and "points" information............oh and also about 50 extra pounds!

I saw a show a year of two ago called "I can make you thin" with this british guy Paul McKenna.  I really liked the show but it only had a few episodes and then you really didn't hear much about it.  His plan was basically you follow the four "golden" rules and you'll lose weight naturally.  You can still find these shows if you do a search on youtube.  Here's his rules

1. When you're hungry, eat!
2. Eat what you want (not what you think you should)
3. Eat consciously (ie slowly)
4. When you think you're full, Stop!

Easy right? Not!  It's actually pretty difficult. 

To help I bought his book and "mind programming" CD but there's not a lot of scientific data or rather the "why" of this program so I started looking into intuitive eating which is really what this whole plan is based off of.

Recently I found the best intuitive eating book so far, "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch.  This is a fantastic read that gives you the whole low down on how diets hurt your self esteem and why dieting make you fat.  Yes that's right I said DIETING MAKES YOU FAT!  Very eye opening and for all of my chronic dieting sisters a MUST READ!

Granted this is not a "get skinny quick" type of program but unlike every other diet plan I've ever tried, once you lose the weight the authors promise it's gone FOREVER! 

I can't wait to get skinny forever!  But for now I'm slowing my roll and just practicing the program one day at a time.  

It must be working because yesterday instead of punishing myself by continuing to squeeze into my too tight clothes I went out and bought some stylish clothes for my upcoming cruise that actually fit me!  This may not seem like a big deal to "normal" people but for a chronic dieter this is a huge step towards "honoring the body I have". 



No comments: